One of the greatest advantages of vinyl siding is that it requires minimal maintenance. But it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take care of it. Below are some do’s and don’ts of vinyl siding maintenance.
- Clean Your Siding Regularly — Make it a point to clean your vinyl siding once a year, ideally during springtime. Unless otherwise stated by your siding contractor, all you need to clean your siding is a garden hose. Use a soft brush with a telescoping handle for those hard-to-reach corners.
- Clean Your Siding Properly — In case of stubborn stains, mix a quarter cup of dish soap for every four gallons of water. Use the same soft brush to scrub the stains out. Make sure the water is spraying on the siding in a downward direction or the water may get under the siding where it won’t easily dry out.
- Perform Regular Inspections — Siding and roof replacement contractors like us recommend inspecting your siding twice a year. Keep an eye out for cracked, warped and loose siding. Softly but firmly tap sections using an elongated tool, such as a screwdriver. If parts fall out, dry rot may already have set, which may necessitate siding replacement soon.
- Allow Dirt to Accumulate — more than a few homeowners make the mistake of assuming that vinyl siding requires absolutely no maintenance. This is not true; while dirt doesn’t infiltrate vinyl, it still stays on the surface and uyou will need to clean it off. Fortunately, as described above, keeping vinyl siding clean is easy.
- Paint Vinyl Siding Yourself — Vinyl siding has molded-in colors which, in most cases, is enough. However, if you must paint it, there are specific instructions on how to do so. The outer surface should be cleaned and primed before any painting is done. When in doubt, consult a painting professional. Also, check your warranty terms and conditions, as painting the siding may void your warranty.
- Let Plants Get Too Close — Keep the shrubbery near the siding trimmed. Twigs and branches may poke into the siding and cause scratches or even cracks, which may expose the exterior wall to moisture intrusion.
Greenawalt Roofing Company is voted one of Lancaster County’s Favorites in siding installation. Contact us today for a FREE estimate, 717-898-6000 or 610-779-3111.